Dualsport Navigating by Sidecar

Sidecars are rad, and here's the spot to talk about them. Add a third wheel and post away!

Moderators: Tawmass, RedMenace

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Dualsport Navigating by Sidecar

Postby RedMenace » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:03 am

You need a tripmeter accurate to .01 miles to navigate the course. I use a SIGMA bicycle speedometer. Cost about $20. Easy trip reset with one button. The last one I bought was a Sigma BC 506. A roll chart holder is also required. You can get it from Tucker Rocky, Chaparral or Dennis Kirk. Any moto shop can order one for you.

I buy larger magnets from RadioShack, which I glue to the rim with JB Weld.

Image Image

Calibration is as simple as measuring a single rotation of the tire to get the circumference in mm and entering the value into the Sigma. I calibrate that against a GPS reading and fudge the numbers if I need to get a closer reading. You need the tripmeter to be accurate, so don't worry about speed, focus on distance over the road.

http://adventuresidecar.com/ASSFLEET/assfleet4.htm
Vernon Wade(The Red Menace)
Sidecar and Trike instruction
adventuresidecar.com

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:24 am

Nice instructions Vern! A couple things to add is that if the little computer only reads to tenths (0.0), that's okay and you can still figure things out.

Also, when mounting the magnetic/sensor combo to the wheel, try to mount it as close to the center of the wheel as possible. That ensures the sensor gets a good pulse for each revolution of the wheel.

Plus, I prefer the Endurance unit from Trail Tech, as it has a zillion other features, made for motorbikes and is easily resettable.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Sidecars - Dualsport Style!”