7/29/17 MRA Club Ride On McGrew Trail

Post your trailriding stories and ride reports here, whether dualsport or not.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

7/29/17 MRA Club Ride On McGrew Trail

Postby Tawmass » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:44 am

ChuckS had set up this ride for those that donated to our latest land purchase. It required a permit and he got that too. Here's a good link on the rich history of the McGrew Trail: CLICK HERE

Come Saturday, there were a number of people that showed. Chuck said that the route was easy and that we had nothing to be concerned about. It was clear later that his memory was fogged! Donna, Scout and I were driving the club's new Polaris Razor Side-by-Side (SxS) and this was my first endeavor into driving a vehicle like this.

We all unloaded and started right into the rocks. Chuck assured us that there were only a couple sections of rock. Wrong! The entire route is extremely rocky! The red (below) is the McGrew Trail, but the return road was gnarly too.

Along the way I flatted the rear driver's tire. Fortunately ChrisP had the repair tools to take care of it - thanks Chris! Chuck also got a flat on the trailer and, with no spare, had to abandon the trailer till the next day. We all drove out (what he drove in with the pickup) on the second day and were horrified at how rough that road was! Oh yeah, Chuck's Son, Derek, had to drive all the way back to Cave Junction's Les Schwab to get a spare tire and lug wrench! The swimming hole at Sourdough Campground was a very welcome sight and made all the hot sun worthwhile getting there. The mosquitoes were ferocious while Chuck and Derek cooked up dinner, and also the next morning for breakfast.

All in all, everyone had a blast, plus we'll never take Chuck's input again! Fortunately there was a smoother route to take outbound for the pickup that came out at Gasquet. Many thanks to Chuck for all the work he put into this and to everyone for showing up!
-Tom

https://vimeo.com/228072348 <----Click this link if you are having video-streaming issues

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

bin rydin
WFO
WFO

Re: 7/29/17 MRA Club Ride On McGrew Trail

Postby bin rydin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:14 pm

I have ridden this trail many a time forwards and backwards, so I recognize many of the views. Did you stop and see the wooden “WAGON TRACKS” sign? I must say this is the very first time I have “ridden” this where I could sit down, Thanks for the video. On the road back, just about a ¾ mile from the saddle where you come to the main road from Sourdough camp, is where I saw a bellied out on a water bar low rider sleeper cab semi tractor with its rear tires shredded just last fall. The trailer it had been hauling was found about 10 miles towards O’Brian by Diamond Creek. It had snagged a tree with the rear tires, pulled the tree roots out of the ground and went over the side of the road. The tractor had a Californian plate on the front and Mexican plate on the rear. Heard through the grapevine later in the week that a big 40,000 plant haul of pot was heli choppered out of that same area by the feds… Can you imagine driving a big rig low clearance semi into that area? I mean you have about 30 miles of increasingly more primitive “road” to forewarn you that you should not be driving a semi any further, but perhaps they had some feel good drugs before hand? Did you ever ask Chuck what he was on when he said there were just a few rocky spots? I read that in the promotional flyer and thought “Oh Man” are you in for a surprise…

bin rydin
WFO
WFO

Postby bin rydin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:31 pm

PS This Link does not work "Here's a good link on the rich history of the McGrew Trail: CLICK HERE"

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:35 pm

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

bin rydin
WFO
WFO

Postby bin rydin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:37 pm

Server not found

Firefox can’t find the server at www.fs.usda.gov.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:58 am

bin rydin wrote:Server not found

Firefox can’t find the server at http://www.fs.usda.gov.

Lee, that's the Forest Service's site. If you can't see that, then find another browser. Try Chrome.
-Tom

Return to “Plain Ol' Trail Riding”