12/31/17 New Year's Eve Birthday Ride With The Mcbrides

Post your trailriding stories and ride reports here, whether dualsport or not.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

12/31/17 New Year's Eve Birthday Ride With The Mcbrides

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:50 am

I met up at Mike & Heather Mcbride's place at 6AM and, with a slight change of taking my truck instead of theirs, we hooked up their trailer (with bikes) and set sail south to Redding's Chappie/Shasta OHV Area. Unfortunately my Wife, Donna, was unable to go due to the flu. Three hours later we were driving across the dam (the security people were hilarious!), then unloading the scooters in 50+ degree weather and clear skies.

Per our GPS devices, we started riding in search of the various mines in the area, and there were many. We were glad that Yogi and Bigfoot were not populating them.

Then it was on to more riding, numerous water crossings and rocks, with yet more rocks. We eventually caught up with a parade of side-by-sides with no room for us to get by, so we had to follow them for a ways till we had to clear out a recent windfall in the trail. One vehicle was hauling a Beagle Dog with a hilarious howl!

We soon got around them and were on our way to the tops of the mountains. This place is quite scenic up on top, as evidenced by the pictures and video below!

While up on top, we took Trail 75 that culminated into a gnarly climb, where we turned around. We then took Trail 26 called The Rattlesnake Trail that dropped us [literally!] back down to Lake Shasta with a plethora of vehicles abandoned over the edge, like cars and an antique dozer.

At the end of the day, we'd ridden some new places, which is always a plus for me! Unfortunately our stop at Yak's in Dunsmuir produced a closed restaurant, but other than that, it was yet another great day of riding! And happy Birthday to Mike!
-Tom

<------Click the Vimeo logo if you are having streaming issues.
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Hamcbride
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Re: 12/31/17 New Year's Eve Birthday Ride With The Mcbrides

Postby Hamcbride » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Your video and photography skills are fantastic! It was a really run day of riding with two great people. Riding and exploring is the best way to celebrate Mike's Birthday. Thank you for sharing Tom.

Return to “Plain Ol' Trail Riding”