2008-2-17 Tillamook Trailride

Post your trailriding stories and ride reports here, whether dualsport or not.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

2008-2-17 Tillamook Trailride

Postby Tawmass » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:11 pm

I met Scott and Roger at Coleman's Restaurant at 8:30am for some chow, then we headed west in search of a place to ride. My bud Mike was supposed to show too, but was a no show. We unloaded at Koenig Creek and then started north on the dirt roads.

It wasn't long before we hit the Cutoff Trail, then had to leave that side of the river due to the snow.

We then went over to Jordan Creek in search of the Holy Trail. We rode up Jordan Creek Trail, then caught Spauer Creek Trail. Of course the bridge across the creek is still blown out, so we had fun getting across the log-infested coldness. Both Scott and Roger were sporting studded tires and had no problems crossing the wet log, but it did make me squirm.

We then went back on Jordan Creek Trail and went up Archer's Road. We again got shut down due to the snow.

So the only remaining option was to run Roger's Road, but we ran into snow at the summit of it too.

All in all it was still a great ride, even though we only did 29 measley miles. Just getting back out into the woods and into the sunshine made it worth it! Bottom line: there's still a heckuva lotta snow out there, even on the Coast Range! All the pix are here:
http://tawmn.smugmug.com/gallery/435619 ... #255684226
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

MortimerSickle
pulling in the clutch
pulling in the clutch

Postby MortimerSickle » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks for the write-up; good pics.

Were you able to cross 6 directly, without traveling down the highway? If not, how far down the road did you have to go before you could get back onto the dirt? I haven't been able to find a way across without outlawing it.

Oh yeah, how are the food/prices/service at Coleman's?
Riding the Tillamook Burn, the forest where the motorcycle trails are older than the trees.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:53 pm

Yeah, we crossed Hwy 6 at the designated crossing point at the Koenig Creek turnoff. Need to be careful crossing though! I just knew Roger was going to become a ping-pong ball crossing the highway!

The chow and prices were great at Coleman's! :)
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

MortimerSickle
pulling in the clutch
pulling in the clutch

Postby MortimerSickle » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks. I have been going to the Log Cabin, but I've been wondering about Colman's.
Riding the Tillamook Burn, the forest where the motorcycle trails are older than the trees.

Return to “Plain Ol' Trail Riding”