2008/11/6~9 2nd Annual Intel DBC Ride at China Hat

Post your trailriding stories and ride reports here, whether dualsport or not.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

2008/11/6~9 2nd Annual Intel DBC Ride at China Hat

Postby Tawmass » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:39 pm

A coworker, Kent Lusted, spearheaded a close-knit group of peers last year for a weekend of trailriding at China Hat titled the Intel DBC (Dirt Bike Club) Ride. We had so much fun; he set it up again this year. The plans were to leave work on Thursday, get there Thursday night and commence to hitting a lofty goal of 200 miles for the weekend.

Kent and Michael Hall left Thursday morning, and I left after lunch. By the time I got there, it was after 8pm due to the nasty weather I encountered going over the pass. Upon my arrival, Kent and Michael were already amped up after putting in a 40-mile rip. It was now dark, so they wanted to go do a night ride. Even though my Honda only puts out a throbbing 35W of candlepower, how could I say no?

So off into the desert nightscape we went!

It was pretty crazy trying to stay up with those two, since they were sporting the Trail-Tech HID lights, but it was still a blast! Fortunately it wasn’t dusty at all, due to plenty of recent rains! After an hour or two of dancing in the dark, we made our way back to camp and build a killer fire, complete with a pallet as spare firewood.
ImageImage

After a blissful night of sleep in my Skank Trailer, we were up and moving early Friday morn. Another coworker, Billy DeBorde, showed up with his KTM 300. Last year’s DBC Ride was short for him as he broke his engine case on a rock. This year he was more optimistic. Kent had a cool looking route planned out and we were rarin’ to go!
ImageImage
ImageImage

We motored off into the bowels of lava rock, when Kent took his first digger. Fortunately he was fine and we got the chance to tease him.
ImageImage

We continued flogging ourselves silly through the lava fields.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

We finally got out of the lava gardens and moved into the smoother trails of the South side. We stopped for a break, and I noticed Michael’s throttle housing had lost one of its two bolts. I then suggested to Michael that he might check to ensure his remaining, small bolt was tight, and he promptly tightened it enough that it stripped the threads – oof! Of course, you can guess who got the blame! After some jury rigging and tape, we finally got it working for him again.

This was about the time that I fired up the helmet cam and started following Billy. Sheesh, I didn’t get more than a half mile up the trail until I smacked a limb sticking down and thought I broke the camera!
Click the image below to watch the 20-minute video. It’s a collection of the weekend’s highlights including a few yuks!

Later on, we rode in trails covered in very slick snow, as evidenced by Michael’s surf in the white stuff. We eventually got back to camp and made a huge bonfire. It’s amazing what you can do with kerosene! Billy spent the night with his outlaws in La Pine, which he went to by way of the back, dirt roads. That evening we settled in for burgers and dogs – real camping health food! We considered another night ride, but quite honestly, we were fairly tuckered out! Kent brought his buddy’s spare bike as a backup and he couldn’t resist just trying it around the campground though.
ImageImage

We awoke Saturday morning to another spectacular display of morning! Billy had returned again (and brought more firewood!) and our route plans were to head over to the other side of Hwy 20 and back. We loaded up again and were off across the Millican Valley.

Love the knobby on top of the culvert – for good reason!
ImageImage

We then rode some fast and technical trails, stopped for some PB&J sandwiches, and then hit the trails, which eventually took us up on top of a cinder butte with a stunning panorama vista! And here’s Kent’s classic ‘Bultaco’ pose.
ImageImage

We continued back across Millican Valley’s finest whoops – ugh. Upon returning back to camp, another coworker, Ray Schmelzer, showed up! Unfortunately, Billy had to take off though – and he wouldn’t leave his bike – dangit!
ImageImage

So we snagged a quick, few bites to eat and headed out again, expecting another late ride. We rode some bodacious trails that just snaked back and forth – as the rains started to sprinkle. Then it got dark. Ray was wearing tinted lenses. Michael and Ray had to swap bikes, since Ray’s bike had no lights, and Michael had helmet lights. After that, we poked our way through the darkness back to camp. On the way back, the rains started to pick up and lightning even gave us a phenomenal electric show! Right as we pulled back into camp, the rains REALLY came down, causing running water all over the campgrounds.

The torrential downpour finally quit and we made another good fire and settled in for the night.

The next morning came up again beautiful and sunny. Kent’s odometer had registered almost 220 miles of fun!
ImageImage

Come to find out, I knew all the other campers in the area: my old racing bud Rick Crossland, plus Terry Cook, Joe Dobb and Jim. It was great seeing them again! We then loaded up the show and headed on home. What a weekend, with almost NO DUST! Thanks for the invite guys, and I hope we can do it again next year!
-Tom
FYI, all my (and Kent’s) photos are HERE.
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

E-Ticket
WFO
WFO

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:34 am

Wow... conditions looked great! I'm envious... <grin>

Hey, how low was the snow? And trails fully closed yet... or is still just patches here and there?

Thanks! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F ("Wee Beasty"); '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
(AMA Member)
Wife: '22 Kawasaki KLX 140R F; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i (AMA Member)

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:04 am

Just patches on the lower level. I suspect China Hat itself was snowed in though.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

YamaHead
on the mainjet
on the mainjet

Postby YamaHead » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:41 pm

Man, I miss living over there!.....
Looking @ those pics......I can almost smell the junipers & pines. :wink:
NO FEELIN' LIKE 2-WHEELIN'! 8)

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:06 pm

Yeah, I miss that smell too!

Return to “Plain Ol' Trail Riding”