Making your dirtbike street legal in Orygun

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Making your dirtbike street legal in Orygun

Postby Tawmass » Thu May 19, 2005 3:28 pm

Lately there has been a fervor about people and their difficult efforts at making their dirtbikes street legal. I'm once again in the same situation with my Honda 450X. In the past it has been as easy as buy a new bike and, while signing the papers, have them order you a plate with your new scoot. It seems that a few dealers will no longer get a plate for you and it is up to the purchaser to do it on their own now (due to - you guessed it - liability issues).

I currently have a Baja Design Kit (http://www.bajadesigns.com/) on its way and the only thing holding me back was a plate. I just today got the plate for my X with no hassles. I made sure and got my title back from DMV first (no, it did NOT say "for off-road use only"), then made sure I had a proof-of-insurance card and walked into the Express DMV building. Handed my title and insurance card over to the guy, paid him $33 and I was on my way.

I suspect there are some DMV employees with a chip on their shoulder, but this should truly be no big deal, since you can get a plate for a trailer, custom vehicle, etc. I plan on installing the street-legal kit and I should be good to go.

Hope this helps,
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Bonnie Meadowes
WFO
WFO

better way

Postby Bonnie Meadowes » Thu May 19, 2005 9:56 pm

Tawm, this works every time...
buy a Hodaka in Mexico
mule a kilo of smack and crank over the border in the
broad daylight, say in arizona
deliver the herowin and speed, sell off the hodaka?
collect 200$+
buy a late model car
drive it full of stuff to Portland
get a new USA ID at Salem at the special immigrant event
get a job with the USFS pattroling trails
walla~ a plate...
the best part of this is
you can check your own decibles
(and emmissions)
bin rydin

Return to “Dualsporting In General”