6/25/05, Lobos' "Valley Dualsport Ride" and pix

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

6/25/05, Lobos' "Valley Dualsport Ride" and pix

Postby Tawmass » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:52 pm

The ride started out at the Lobos' funky, old, quonset clubhouse out of Oregon City. I believe this was the first time they ran this type of event from their clubhouse. After the obligatory rider's meeting by dualsport legends, Bob Schwarz & Billy Toman, we rolled some dice, zero'd our odo's and were on our way.

We started out riding as a group that included Walt, Frank, Dan, Dawn, Jim and I, but soon dwindled down after Walt and Frank left us far behind. They were on a mission and were riding like scared jackrabbits. We just wanted to be sure our behemoth adventure bikes finished (Dan/Dawn on a Transalp, Jim on a BMW/GS, as was I). The ride was billed as an easy ride with 'some gravel road' as you can see from the flyer:

http://www.lobosmc.com/

From their clubhouse, the course wound its way through the countryside in a great progression of twists and turns. After a brief bit of misty rain, we stopped for a break at a countryside store for coffee and snacks as various riders pulled in. We of course had to give as much grief to Jim, George and Dave as possible.

Once we pulled into Estacada, we could see the "Mt. Scotchers" had already taken a break at the local bar for [ahem] 'coffee'. After deciding it was probably wise to not hang with them (we would've probably had to hang out for a couple hours!), we topped off with petrol and continued on, taking the 'gravel' route. From there it went past Promontory Point and turned off onto Road #45. 45 started out as single-lane pavement for numerous twisty miles, then turned into freeway, gravel road. It then turned left onto a narrow gravel road that was a gas on the big bikes, although it was iffy at times from the narrow width of the road due to overgrown brush.

Later on it once again caught single-lane pavement, progressed into two-lane pavement and continued on into Molalla by way of a complex maze of twisties and scenery. At one stop, we had to go into a store and purchase 'something' to receive a receipt. At the finish, the receipt was worth points, so it was worthwhile to stop and donate to the local economy. As we were there, Dive, Jim and George pulled up. When Dive wasn't looking, I turned off his gas, to give him a thrill after the break. ;-) Unfortunately he never 'fessed up that he ran out of gas. Dang! :twisted:

From there it was more twisties and beautiful countryside working its way to the finish back at the Lobos' Clubhouse. Hard to believe that Steve Simon got the first-place trophy - again. I suspect he keeps a spare pen and marks his cards! :wink: George got the furthest-distance trophy, coming all the way from Medford. The oldest rider trophy recipient, Roy, was 85!!! Admirable indeed!

We all had a great time and there was only one accident, by a gent on a big BMW GS1200. Fortunately he was fine, although the Beemer had a few scrapes. Many thanks to Billy and Bob of the Lobos M/C, and their helpers for hosting the event! No, this wasn't like the trailride option from the previous weekend's Dirty Face Dualsport ride, but this was just about perfect for the bigger two-wheelers. Thanks also to Dale for letting me take his killer '05 GS1200 for a test ride! Good times!
-Tom
PS: GPS trackmap pix will be posted in a couple days.
CLICK HERE to see a few pictures that I took

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:40 am

The GPS trackmap is now posted with the rest of the pictures above.
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Dualsporting In General”