9/9~10/06 Cascade 150 & Scaredy Cat Dualsport Rides

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

9/9~10/06 Cascade 150 & Scaredy Cat Dualsport Rides

Postby Tawmass » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:16 pm

(FYI, the link to all my photos are at the bottom)

The Cascade 150 Dualsport - Saturday

This was the second year of the Cascade 150, hosted by the Oregon_DSR Group. The two lead guys, Gary and Dale did a splendid job of laying out a great course. I showed up rather late on Friday night after a nightmarish drive to avoid a parking-lot situation on I5 leaving Portland. Upon arriving I was greeted by Gary and then Danno had a spaced reserved for me and my little Skank Trailer. Upon getting set up, it was fun times around the campfire with Jim, Sharon, Danno, Dawn and anyone else that cared to join us. The night ended with Mt. Scott's Steve and Mike joining Danno and I around the campfire in a competition to see how off key we could sing, no doubt much to Jim and Sharon's chagrin. :-)

Saturday morning my trailer door was being knocked by my gracious neighbor Jim, since he and Sharon already had the coffee pot on, which got me the kickstart I needed. After visiting, it was time to help Gary setup for his Cascade 150 signup and get ready myself for the ride. It had been raining during the night, but was showers instead of a downpour. By signup time it was merely a mist, which set up the dirt to be perfect - enough water to settle the dust, but not create slime. After the rider's meeting, Danno and I did our usual snail's crawl to get ready and we were barely off before the sweep crew - doh!

I picked up a cheap helmet cam the day prior and this was to be the maiden voyage. It was cheap, but was worth a try to see if I wanted to get a nice one. Danno and I took off and headed South into the mountains. We eventually stopped, I toggled on the helmet cam, and then followed him up a fun, little two-track ditty towards the summit.

CLICK HERE to watch the video. It was our first time with this thing, so gimme some slack! :-) (Note: I just noticed that YouTube condenses the video, which incorporates a weird, red blotch on the screen. Odd and annoying, but oh well)

At the top of the section, we came upon Joe and Don, who were just packing things together after fixing a rear flat on Don's big BMW. Also at this point, Bruce (from Grants Pass) showed up. Then Danno and I took off with Bruce in our wake. Up at the top it was quite dark and dank with mist peppering the goggles and the occasional rain drops popping my helmet, but as we started back down towards the valley, it started to open up a bit. We could even see blue skys - yes!

We stopped at Dale's Check, then did a pavement scrape to the bottom of Sardine Creek. Danno said he hadn't been on it, but heard it was cool. I again set up my helmet cam to record and had Joe and Don get in front, followed by Danno and Bruce. For some reason the cam would randomly shut off after a bit (don't know why yet), but I did get a bit of video of it.

CLICK HERE to watch the video of us starting up Sardine Creek.

Unfortunately the cam stopped recording by the time we got to the really good stuff - oh well. We then went along the tops of the mountains, took a few pix, and I entertained everyone by doing a dork maneuver of falling over backing off a small mound of dirt. Cool, got my crash out of the way, so I was good for the rest of the day! :-)

Continuing on, we passed by Opal Lake and that's when we had the surprise of the day. We came upon three guys dressed in full-on “Rendezvous” gear straight out of the 1700s! I just couldn't resist and asked if I could get a couple photos of them with us. Sift through my collection of pix and check these guys out - too cool! Then Dive asked if he could shoot one of their cap-and-ball relic guns - now THAT was funny, I don't care who you are! What the heck is a Rendezvous, you ask? I found this link that sort of describes what it’s all about: http://www.over-land.com/rendez.html

CLICK HERE to watch Divey pop his gun!

Danno, Bruce and I then sailed on down the road, found the coffee can remote check of trinkets, stocked up and took off again. On the way back, we decided to side step the route and rode to Gates for lunch at the local Mexican Restaurant - tasty.

At the finish, they had some seriously, fun games, such as golfing with baby toys, blind-man darts, and Julie's classic ball-swinging game - big fun!

CLICK HERE to watch Bruce swing his balls.

After the points were tallied, the winners were announced, and for some reason, I actually won the event overall - woohoo! Richard won the GarminV GPS - nice! I'd like to specifically thank Gary and Dale for their huge efforts at setting this gig up and for the good times setting it up too. Mad props also to the other Oregon_DSR peeps who helped with the rest of the event - thanks! No if's, ands or buts, Gary and Dale WILL host the event again - right guys?

"Coach" Ramey hosted an extremely informative "How To Ride" seminar during the evening. I've always heard about his expertise and knowledge regarding your body and how to make it work better for riding, and his seminar did not disappoint. Thanks Coach, you rock! And thanks for answering my silly questions. :-)

The Scaredy Cat Dualsport Ride - Sunday

Once again, Jim came knocking on my door at 6am, but this time with a full carafe of java. What great service! And rightfully needed too, as my girlfriend, Ellen, showed up Saturday night and we both didn't sleep too well, so needed the kickstart on our tickers.

This was another of our NW Tour & Trail events, set up by Danno. At signup, Danno had all his ducks in a row, and at the rider's meeting he patiently explained how his event worked. To summarize, it was a dualsport, geo-cache, treasure-hunt type of event, and last year was the first of its kind. I like how Danno thinks outside the box and added some variety for the riders. During the meeting, George shared his bruises after running into the back of Jim! :lol:

After the riders left, Danno, Dawn, Jim, Sharon, Ellen and I all headed up to the town of Detroit to run the checkpoints, which were divided up in the town. After breakfast we spread out and watched the fun as the riders came trickling in. At the Scales Check, the riders were extremely creative on how they weighed their bikes and their efforts to add more. Ellen and I mainly hung out with Danno and Dawn at the Trash Check, and once again the riders didn’t disappoint! Bruce was lucky enough to find a hidden hubcap for max points, whereas Gary found an actual spare tire to turn in, also for max points – too funny! Hard to believe, but I actually forgot my camera heading to the checkpoints, so only was able to take a couple shots with my wimpy cellphone camera – sorry.

At the finish, I set up a slow test to challenge the riders. To add flavor, I added a four-by-four that the riders had to navigate over, while going over the course. This test was wrought with entertainment, like George, who ran over the parking-lot log. :) At the end of the day, there was a two-way tie for first between Dan M. and Mike. The tie breaker was for both guys to ride Danno’s wee 50cc Yamaha in another slow test and Mike won by a scant one second!

Danno can chime in on the rest of the ride, so post your input Danno! You riders do the same thing! Good job, Danno, and I look forward to helping you out again when possible.

CLICK HERE to see all my photos.

See ya’ll at the next ride!
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Dive
WFO
WFO

Postby Dive » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:58 pm

I enjoyed the write up and photos Tom, thanks!

Not sure I like looking at myself on video mind you :(

Speaking of video, is this the same camera you have ?

link:
http://tinyurl.com/haqc6

Thanks
Dave

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:47 pm

Thanks, Dive, and yep, same one: ATC-1000.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Bonnie Meadowes
WFO
WFO

Postby Bonnie Meadowes » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:55 pm

Thanks for the photo update, especially the big log crossing, I also liked "The Brusinator"
Say Thomass, you be doing the Diamond Lake ???

I am just in the recon part of helmet camera knowledge
and right now the shullcams system is looking the best
but what the furk do i know as i never used one before
i am thinking of renting one pretty soon just to get my feet wet

So Tawm, please feel free to spend your money on this investigative recordage event
I would like to know
(1)how long these babies can tape in hours
(2)If even a fool having a bad day on the trail can opporate them consistantly
(3)i mean, if you want to...
crash test them... naugh, #1 and #2 will do

and get back to us
preferably before Christmas time?

That photo of you being confronted by homoland sequrity patriots was pretty scarry dude, hope you were wearing your chastity belt

It obviousely scared the piss out of your bike
as it turnned yellow and got 90% road tires

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:28 am

Hey Lee,
For some reason, the cam kept turning off while I was using it during the ride, so I did some experimentation the last couple days. It 'seemed' like it could have been a battery issue, so I bought a set of 'lithium' batteries and let it run at home pointed at the TV. It ran for over an hour in medium resolution mode. Another thing is that I made sure the added 1Gig of memory card was 'latched' and wouldn't slip out. I'm thinking with these mods, this little puppy is good to go. :P

As far as operation by a "fool having a bad day on the trail ", I would have to say that it gets better with use. Once you've gone through the menus, playing around with it and such, then it should be okay. Initially it's very awkward though.

I may turn it on for a road rip after work tonight for another acid test! For the low cost of these things, they are definately worth it!
-Tom

Bonnie Meadowes
WFO
WFO

Postby Bonnie Meadowes » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:34 pm

well the "Dah" factor is a "biggie"
i was just trying to program some irrigation digital crap
this very AM

the damn code is understandable in mosanbicke perhaps

BUT the big question was are you able to do the MRA thing ?

I am thinking i could rerubberize the ass end of my bike
and chase a few birds& sqirrrles out the air box\

and good olde bin Rydin AKA Bonnie Meadowes
would be good to show

i hear they are "killin fish" big time up at Diamond Lake
so your "sckanke wagone" should just
blenderize right in...

"I once was lost ~ but now I'm found".....

Return to “Dualsporting In General”