Spammers in Our Midst?

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spammers in Our Midst?

Postby Tawmass » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:36 pm

FYI, we're getting about 2~5 new signups per day that are (mostly) spambots. I nuke them when I see them, but I may miss a few.

What are spambots you ask? Spammers now use automated tools to hit popular websites that have popular message boards like ours, perform automated logins, then include their spammers weblinks, in the hopes that some fool will actually go to their site and buy something. There now appears to be some spambots that, once registered, they will then have a real person post some spam garbage, again in hopes that some sap will actually go to their site.

Go check out those spam sites at your peril!

Many of those spam sites have spyware and/or viruses that infect your machine, record your keystrokes and then report back to the spammers. They can then acquire your usernames and passwords for your credit cards or bank accounts, etc. Not pretty! :spam2:

I've incorporated some safeguards to slow the onslaught, but bottom line, the spammers are motivated and will eventually find a way to register & login to as many sites as possible. There has already been numerous new registrations and occasional messages being posted. If I do not catch/delete these messages, I urge you to again, not visit those sites. I also urge you to let me know if you suspect a spammer in our midst. This is one of the joys of having such a popular site I guess. :|

Practice safe hex!
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Dualsporting In General”