FNG Introduction

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

oremike
pulling in the clutch
pulling in the clutch

FNG Introduction

Postby oremike » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:47 pm

Just bought a new to me DR 650 and am getting used to it, way diffent than my 1200 Bandit but in a good way. Any advice on books,classes and training to speed up my learning curve, I'm kind of reluctant to ride off road by myself at this point do to my lacking skill set. I've looked into Ramey's School but I guess he's healing up or something and isn't teaching right now.
Thanks,
Mike M.
Creswell, Oregon
'01 Suzuki DR 650

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:54 pm

Hey Mike,
Welcome to the club - you just doubled your riding opportunities by getting a dualsport bike! :thumbleft:

The BEST way to learn riding off road, is to go riding off road on a dirt bike. The big DR650 is an excellent dirt road, highway, VERY EASY trails bike, but not good for anything challenging. If you do not have a dirt bike at your disposal, then I'd recommend getting together with other dualsporters in your area and start riding with them. Ask plenty of questions and be willing to learn. Props to you for realizing that riding solo, albeit a zen experience, can be very bad if something questionable happens.

There is some very cool riding in your area, and I'm sure a few on this board (who live near) can help you out.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

oremike
pulling in the clutch
pulling in the clutch

Postby oremike » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:38 pm

Thanks for the welcome Tom, at this point I'm not realy looking to do much trail rideing, more like old logging roads. But as you know some of those can be fairly chalangeing. I like to explore and take pictures of cool old stuff, all though I'd like to try a couple dual sport events like poker runs to see how I like them. To be honest as I ride the DR more and get more comfortable with it I'll start to find it's offroading limits and probly look for a smaller/lighter bike. Guns and motorcycles, I just need one more,right? :wink:
Mike M.
Creswell, Ore

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:43 pm

You got that right! Hey, you could also check out our buds over at the Oregon_DSR site (link is on the main Black Dog page), as there are a few people who hang out there from your area.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

TOGA
in third gear
in third gear

Postby TOGA » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:43 am

Mike,

Congrats on the new DR! Tom's advice is good.......it's not recommended that you ride alone....as being up in the mountains on a remote USFS road if your bike craps-out or you accidentally fall, is not a good idea. IMO: it's analogous to scuba diving.......not advisable to do it alone.

However, if all you want is general experience, yup - just riding on USFS or BLM roads is a great way to learn the bike and some new off-road skills. There's no better teacher than experience! Like Tom says...there's gotta be some dual sporters in your area you could ride with. I'm also on the OR_DSR group, and you could see if anyone on that group lives near by to ride with.
"I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member!" (Groucho)

oremike
pulling in the clutch
pulling in the clutch

Postby oremike » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:37 pm

Thanks TOGA, I am on the Oregon DSR list, seems like no one but me is riding this time of year. (shrug) Been riding on the back roads by myself for over 30 years so I do what I can to minamize the risk. I do carry basic survival gear, Leatherman, Bic lighter, whisle, cell phone and a MRE. I'm being very careful as I explore and learn my new bike , when the going gets tough I turn around. I'm sure when the weather gets better there will be more oppertunities for group rides.
Mike M.

Return to “Dualsporting In General”