Any sightings of new `08 KLR at Dealers?

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

TOGA
in third gear
in third gear

Any sightings of new `08 KLR at Dealers?

Postby TOGA » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:27 pm

Anyone hear of a Kawi dealer who should be getting a 2008 KLR soon? Or do you think every dealer would get one for us to look at?
"I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member!" (Groucho)

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:38 pm

TOGA, I get into Hillsboro Motorsports occasionally and can check. There any big changes for '08?
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

TOGA
in third gear
in third gear

Postby TOGA » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:22 am

Big changes? Probably not.....mostly cosmetic with new styling and fairing, with some mechanical (new rotors/discs, swingarm, forks, rear rack, intake porting, revised cam timing, transistorized ignition with revised mapping to replace the old CDI, higher capacity radiator, larger front/rear spokes, larger front rotor/disc; firmer seat, dual headlights, generator output increased from 14.5 amps to 17).

I have a copy of the specs.....can we upload documents for others to see? If so, howz that done?
[/img]

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:57 am

Hey TOGA,
Go read how to post pix and such here:
http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/forum/ ... .php?t=384

That should get you going. 8)
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

TOGA
in third gear
in third gear

Postby TOGA » Thu May 10, 2007 3:08 pm

There's a guy from another web site (in Oregon) who just bought a 2008 KLR in California......here's what he said about the KLR:

===========
I picked it up from LAMotorsports, via their out the door program. It just happened I had a truck going by their Oakland outlet, so just had the guys load it on the way by and saved $500 off list too!

I really like the bike, it is not a BMW by any means, but is what my legs will fit.

I only rode the older KLR a few tens of miles, and spent half my time trying to get the soft rear suspension to work, so cannot make a totally fair comparison. The things I do notice is that the newer version is lower, not a lot once you are aboard as it does not sag as much, so maybe half an inch lower than the older version by the time I am on. The real difference is in leg-over on an empty bike, as it is now an easy swing of the leg to get right on. Also, when you come to that chicken spot in the trail and have to drop your feet to survey the best route, this bike is easy for me to stand up on the ground and still clear the seat. The other things I notice is that the newer version is fully highway compatible. I can easily get it to 105 and it is still pulling, and trucks do not bounce it around like they did the other version. The seat itself is different, softer or something, it does not give you the saddle straddle walk that the old one did after a couple hours of riding.

As a general comparison, it is very much like riding the KTM 640 Adventure with a civilized seat, only you smile a full $4,000 broader smile from the savings in price. Fuel mileage on the highway is low 50's, and on the gravel in the mid-40's. You can actually see reflections in the mirrors at highway speeds, so the engine is a bit smoother at 65 and above.

There are some warts. The front forks need a different valving package, maybe stronger springs and lighter oil, and a real solid stabilizer to lock them together a bit better for me - I am not a lightweight. You feel the forks deflect on off camber jumps, and that is a bit unnerving until you get used to the need to correct when you land. The bike has a nearly 3" longer wheelbase than the earlier version, and while the front rake and trail is the same, the steering on rough trails is noticeably slower so you have to plan your course instead of just crashing through and reacting. The hand guards are a joke, same as the earlier version, and they are going in the trash and will be replaced with bar end weights and a set of longer guards that wrap around, bolt to the weights, and do not flap in the wind.

I used to hill climb when I was a kid, and used a big two stroke Montessa, and this bike will out climb that one hands down. I am not yet sure why, but even with the OEM compromise tires it just will grunt and go right up the hill. With all the weight it could be an enlightening process if I ever lost it in flight or did a back flip!

I like it so much that I am picking up another for the kids to ride when they are home, and maybe a third for the wife if I can get her to go try it.

The service manager told me that the balancer arm tensioner issue may still with this version of the engine, but that it has been strengthened with different material and welding. I will pull the case and take a look one of these days if it ever gives me any trouble.
==============

YamaHead
on the mainjet
on the mainjet

Postby YamaHead » Thu May 10, 2007 3:23 pm

The 3" longer wheelbase may smooth things out on the tarmac, but will probably give the rider a bit more grief when the trail tightens up. :?

Is there any weight difference in the new model?.....& What's the fuel capacity like?
NO FEELIN' LIKE 2-WHEELIN'! 8)

TOGA
in third gear
in third gear

Postby TOGA » Thu May 10, 2007 3:31 pm

I have a spec sheet on the bike..........it lists the same size tank of 6.1 galls, but it doesn't list the weight.

If you'd like me to email you that spec sheet on the 2008 KLR, I'd be happy to. Is it possible to send me an email off-line (if you don't want your email addr displayed?). I see there's a PM button at the bottom.....so if that does that, I'll send it to ya if you want.

TOGA

YamaHead
on the mainjet
on the mainjet

Postby YamaHead » Thu May 10, 2007 3:57 pm

Thanx TOGA...
I was just curious if the KLR was still the Valdez of DualSport bikes with it's 6 gal tank.
Something that I wish my old XT did have, is a bit more fuel for those longer trips.
I've rode with a coupla different people with KLR's....& was impressed with their road manners.....similar to my brother's DR650.
Seems like you have to be a bit choosey where you ride 'em off-road as they seem a bit top-heavy.....Nice Bikes just the same. :wink:

TOGA
in third gear
in third gear

Postby TOGA » Thu May 10, 2007 4:44 pm

Scott,

I ride a 2001 KLR...and although I have been riding for 36 yrs (street and dirt), I just got into dual sporting 3.5 yrs ago...and it's awesome! I luv the KLR --- for the type of riding I want to do. I describe it as a bike that is the "best at being average". To be sure, it ain't no dirt bike --- but I didn't buy it for that. I've been all over the Steens Mtns, Alvord desert, Hells Canyon, Jordan Valley....yadda yadda........and it goes everywhere without complaint, or carb issues from sea level up to 8,000 ft. And....I never, ever have to worry about gas! So having a heavy front-end AND being top heavy in order to carry all that gas, is fine by me as I get nervous when I'm out in BFE and am low on gas. What's kool is that everyone finds something different in every bike that they like, and it's great that there's so many makes and models out there to meet everyone's needs!!!

TOGA

YamaHead
on the mainjet
on the mainjet

Postby YamaHead » Thu May 10, 2007 8:25 pm

Gotta agree there Toga....
KLR's seem to be a great "Do everything Well" type of machine. 8)
If I didn't have such a thing for my 25 y/o Beast, I'd seriously consider getting one. :wink:

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu May 10, 2007 8:27 pm

And those big KLRs make arguably the perfect ride for the Alaska trips and other long-distance-between-gas rides!
-Tom

Return to “Dualsporting In General”