KLR Adventure Luggage

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

GG116
in first gear
in first gear

KLR Adventure Luggage

Postby GG116 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:14 am

Hi All,

As a long-time MX/desert/Enduro/off-road guy, I'm moving into the more street-minded dual sport stuff for occasional riding, and especially for winter time...and so I can actually keep up with some of my street-only riding friends. I just bought a new Kawasaki KLR 650.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on soft luggage for the KLR? I've done quite a bit of looking around, and have determined that the products from Tourmaster seem to be about the best option. I would however be very grateful for some opinions from folks who have actually experimented with, and have opinions about adventure luggage; saddle bags, tail bags, and tank bags, specifically for the KLR. Placement of the saddle bags with regard to seat space and exhaust are my biggest concerns.

Again, any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Best Regards to All,

Scott/GG116 8)

TOGA
in third gear
in third gear

KLR Luggage

Postby TOGA » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:56 pm

Scott,

I have a 2001 KLR650, and have had it for 1 year (this week!). I bought the factory Kawi rear rack bag and it works perfectly. It's also expandable if needed and holds a ton of stuff in 3 different areas.

TOGA
"I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member!" (Groucho)

GG116
in first gear
in first gear

Postby GG116 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:21 pm

TOGA,

Thanks for the input - I've acquired the factory tail bag that you describe since my initial post, and I really like it. I also did some more looking around, and decided that since I'm moving from Washington to California next month, waterproof gear won't be a significant concern.

I have a good connection at a local Kawasaki dealer (all parts and accessories for cost + 5%), so I'm going to load up on all the goodies - saddlebags, tank bag, center stand, battery tender, etc.

BTW - I also have a tall windscreen, which makes a big difference for long/fast riding, and in cold weather...however, there's a brand called Rifle, that makes a far superior windscreen than the Kawasaki unit.

Again, I really appreciate your input. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Scott

Dive
WFO
WFO

Postby Dive » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:40 pm

The older Kawai saddle bags are much deeper and larger than the new design. If you can scare up a set of them you'll be much happier in my opinion.

I too have the Kawi tail bag and it's pretty good for what I need.

I personally don't like the Kawi tank bag. Its small and always ends up lopsided (tlited) when you fill it up. I have a Tourmaster magnetic tank bag on my KLR and really like it.

However if I had the money I'd buy a Wolfman tank bag. Well made, large with many inner and out pockets. A good sized see through map pocket and comes with a rain cover, or maybe the cover is extra I can't remeber now.

Dave
Salem.

GG116
in first gear
in first gear

Postby GG116 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:08 am

Thanks Dave,

I've heard that none of the aftermarket tank bags fit as well as the factory unit...have you found this to be true? Or is this just hot air?

Thanks again.

Scott

GG116
in first gear
in first gear

Postby GG116 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:00 am

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the input on the Wolfman bag - I got lucky yesterday; found one on clearance for $50.00. I also see what you mean about the new style Kawi saddlebags...while they'd probably be OK for my needs, I always like to err on the side of caution. I'll keep on looking.

Thanks again.

Scott 8) 8) 8)

TOGA
in third gear
in third gear

KLR Luggage

Postby TOGA » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:29 pm

Scott,

I've got a `01 KLR 650, and I bought a factory Kaw tail bag and love it. It's been durable after 1 year, has lots of room, and can expand quite a bit. It also covers the factory tool kit that I replaced....so that hides the kit from being stolen (at least hides it from the person who is clueless that it is there).

TOGA
"I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member!" (Groucho)

Return to “Dualsporting In General”