Mt. Scott Dualsport Ride Report 8/3/13

Whip out those license plates and winkies! Talk about whatever you want, as long as it's about dualsporting.

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mt. Scott Dualsport Ride Report 8/3/13

Postby Tawmass » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:23 pm

The Wife and I headed Friday after work up to the Mt. Scott Dualsport staging area at Skyline Snowmobile Park, just off Hwy 26 on Mt. Hood. By the time we got there and unloaded, everyone was in for the night, so we too hit the hay in the camper. Saturday morning came up bright and early as riders trickled into the area.

This was my Wife’s (Donna) first time out on her Yamaha TTR125 with a street-legal kit after some major mods. She took it out once before, but the stock gearing would only allow her to do 40mph on the faster sections, however she liked the lightness and flickability in the more challenging trails. I purchased some taller gearing through PBI Sprockets (+2 up front and -6 out back) and was anxiously optimistic. I also rejetted it and opened up the airbox, along with installing a Trail Tech Computer, so she was all set up.

The Mt. Scott Club had been out numerous times prior in setting up the course. Unfortunately one of the head guys, Gary Lande, had a very bad crash, where he tagged a tree, went over the bars, and his 530 KTM commenced to devour him with a stuck throttle.
http://www.omraoffroad.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=13864

Fortunately, Gary had good help with him and didn’t ride faster than his angels. He is on the mend, but it will be a long haul. Positive thoughts to Gary!

At the rider’s meeting, Mt. Scott’s Dwight and Stu relayed all the details of the ride, plus had a huge card and jersey for everyone to sign that was to be delivered to Gary in the hospital.

After that, it was time to mount up and go. Donna’s and my bud, Gordon Lawrence, decided to ride with us, so we loaded up and took off. It was dustier than a Kansas dust bowl in the 30s, however we spaced out appropriately. There was an initial loop that used part of the earlier Black Dog course that went East of Timothy Lakes that was plenty of fun. Donna really seemed to be doing well with her new set up, as Gordon and I took turns leading. This route eventually looped back around to the staging area again for a checkpoint.

Then it took off toward Allison’s Tunnel of Love, went for an odd loop afterwards (where I helped a fallen rider get his bike going again around a windfall) and followed up with trails by Frog Lake, CJ’s Chevron, Pioneer Woman’s Grave and finally to Barlow Road.

We wound our way down the Barlow Road with Gordon leading and me following Donna, to help her with navigating on her own. The Barlow Road is always fun and this event used the West half of Barlow Road, then hit the pavement down to Wamic for fuel and lunch. Along the way, we found where Gary’s horrible crash took place, so took a few pix in his honor. Notice the tattered jersey!

We stopped for a killer lunch and beverages of our choice at the Sportsman Pub, then took off again.

Our pace was slow, so Gordon soloed on back with Donna and I in his wake. The return trip used the East half of Barlow Road, then used the same return route back to the staging area, however since the sweep crew was near us, Donna and I elected to hit the tarmac back, so we wouldn’t miss the prizes.

At the finish, the club had games and Stu handed out the prizes and trophies.

The partying then commenced into the evening and everyone had a good time. Thanks Mt. Scott for hosting dualsport events and keeping motorbiking use open in other areas!

Sunday Donna and I decided to do a little trip out to High Rock and have her try some single-track riding. It was a great way to end a weekend of fun riding!
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Dualsporting In General”