The 2016 Dog Face Dualsport-Adventure Ride Report, September 17!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 2016 Dog Face Dualsport-Adventure Ride Report, September 17!

Postby Tawmass » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:01 am

I had just returned from a week-long ride in Northern Nevada, so didn't have much time to take a breath. Almost the next day, I went up with Leroy "Tiny" Knight to start recording on the various courses.

When we first got up there, we noticed some hardy soul touring on an old CB350 Honda. Turns out he wasn't just touring, but riding the Trans-America Trail (TAT) and he was almost done! Wow, what faith in that old bike, and he must've had an iron fanny! We spoke with him for awhile, wished him good luck and he was off (per the video below).

We returned at the end of the day and he was still there, claiming his bike would only run on one cylinder. Oof. He said he'd already rebuilt the top end in the midwest somewhere and he merely wanted to make it to the end of the TAT in Port Orford, leave the bike and fly home. He was SO close! He also said one of his carbs was overflowing badly, which was a clue to Tiny and I that this was probably his problem. We exchanged phone numbers, took him to his camp spot for the night and left, figuring he'd give us a call for the next day and request parts. We didn't hear a thing from him and he wasn't there the next day. Hope he made it!

Leading up to the Dogface Ride, we rode feverishly setting up the various courses. Speaking of the TAT, Gordon Lawrence and I were heading north to Lemolo Lake riding a long, cinder road when one guy went sailing past us holding up two fingers. I was wondering if there were two more guys behind him, or was he simply giving me the peace symbol? A second guy stopped and struck up a conversation with us. Turns out there was only two of them and they were riding the TAT. They were all the way from London - wow! You can follow their trip on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/atpacenduro Also, my good friend Dave Hiatt came down to visit a couple days prior and it was of course really great to see him. As we were heading out Thursday, late (due to Danno's bike unwilling to start), we took off from the Lodge and a familiar, brown Kawasaki Concours went by. I looked in my mirror as he hung a U-turn and sure enough, it was Dave Hiatt! He happened to be on his way home to Puyallup, WA and he thought he'd hang in the area a moment. It was great to see him yet again!

On the morning of the event, we slowly made our way to the Diamond Lake Activity Center to set things up. My Wife, Donna, had arrived the night prior after working all day. A long day for her! We got the signup tables ready and connected the custom printers for rollcharts as one early-riser-rider watched. As always, Scott & Mary Wilson were invaluable! The usual morning signups ensued and there was a good turnout of riders for the first year of this event. Laura Houghton brought her KTM690 and pooch to ride the course and instantly became the life of the group, along with her friend Kayleb Doane! And out of the blue, who should show up but that darned Dave Hiatt - again! He'd ridden all the way home, got his KTM 950 Enduro in the back of his pickup and drove back down to ride the event - hardcore!

After the mandatory Rider's Meeting, it was time to send everyone out on their day's journey. Running light on coffee, we helped everyone get set up at the first checkpoint, while Dan Hatcher supplied riders with GPS tracklogs. It was really great to see so many faces, especially the ones from up north!

The day progressed with an array of stories and adventures! We had awesome roads and views for the adventure riders on the C course, same thing (with a little trail) for the dualsport riders on the B course, and bonafide single track trails for the dirtbikish guys on the A course!
<---- Video is best watched in full-screen, HD mode!

At the end of the day, everyone [eventually] showed up and waited around for their prizes and the handout of a Ben Franklin $100.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Congrats to all the winners and a hearty THANK YOU for all the riders who showed up for the fun! And this event could NOT have been pulled off without all the volunteer help of: my Wife, Donna, Scott & Mary Wilson, Gordon Lawrence, Dan Hatcher, Bill Ward, Steve Robinson, Tiny Knight, Scott Miller, Mike Brown, Arnold Bleicher, and Mike Neal. Also, thanks for the entertainment, smiles and drinks from Eric Chapelle of Moto-Guzzi of Portland!
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Danno
VIP
VIP

Re: The 2016 Dog Face Dualsport-Adventure Ride Report, September 17!

Postby Danno » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:13 am

Very nice write up Tawm and as always GREAT pictures. I love the one with Eric trying to drag his Aprilia back up to the trail. Now to watch the video...
"I usually tighten my nuts better"

Danno
VIP
VIP

Postby Danno » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:25 am

I just watched the video. Nicely done and I'm loving your CCR soundtrack! Especially Ramble Tamble on the Minnehaha trail, both are top 3s for me... I thought Eric was riding an Aprilia like Byron's but luckily it was a Beta and somewhat lighter. Great team work with all involved, getting that bike back up to the trail. PS, if you are not packing rope or stout line, you could be part of the problem. It looked like several guys had line to retrieve that bike. I keep parachute cord in my fanny pack and DS pack. It is very strong and light.

I loved the pooch on the KTM 690! That girl should have had a "Dog Face" award! She rode a nearly 700cc bike on "A" trail? How cool is that?

Great footage from the guys riding "B" sweep! I liked that brushy new quad trail, that was sneaky off the highway.

The old Honda is a '71 CL 350 scrambler. I bought one new in the summer of '71 and rode it from Tualatin to Laramie Wyoming in summer of '73. Mine was orange but I wanted the blue one. I was on a waiting list because of the Longshoresman Strike that summer. The orange one came in before the blue one.

Also, Dave Hyatt should get an honorable mention for one of the most enthusiastic riders ever. We saw him mid-day Thursday on the road near Diamond Lake, just passing thru on his highway bike (Kawasaki Concours?) and then he is back down from Tacoma area early Saturday morning to ride the event. Hardcore!
Danno

Dusty Sphincter
VIP
VIP

Postby Dusty Sphincter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:50 am

Great NEW event. Was a really nice riding area.
Another "HOME RUN" Tawmass & Donna
You Rock.jpg
You Rock.jpg (127.73 KiB) Viewed 13260 times

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:23 am

Just found this from Stefano, nicely done!
-Tom

Stefano Pellerano wrote:
Finally edited the videos from the ride. Could not get the last A trail, out of battery! :shock:
But the nice uphills in the middle of the day are all there. \:D/
Stefano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yxa1JgjYrs
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Danno
VIP
VIP

Postby Danno » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:38 am

Very nice Stefano! Way to handle those uphills like a champ,and pretty song track, too!

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:04 pm

Danno wrote:,and pretty song track, too!

Hah, if you're into techno! :D

Return to “Dog Face Dualsport-Adventure Ride”