6/14/09 Rat Dog Recon w/Dave Hiatt

Discuss the Rat Dog Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

6/14/09 Rat Dog Recon w/Dave Hiatt

Postby Tawmass » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:52 pm

This weekend was the first weekend in over a few months that I had nothing planned. I was supposed to spend it driving around my new/used Ural, but the body shop still wasn't quite finished with the tub. :scratch: Dang!

So I spent Saturday making a frontal attempt at clearing room in my entirely-too-small garage. Out of the blue, ODF's ranger dude, Dave Hiatt, called me up and inquired about my Rat Dog permit and map for August 1. The conversation ended basically with him saying he needed to confirm the course, so plans were set for Sunday to ride the main route.

After a few years of talking about it, this was finally the first time that Dave and I have ridden together - way overdue! I met Dave at the new Forestry Center near Lee's Camp and we took off. Dave was on his rather loud XR650 torque monster with basically road dualsport tires and I was on the new OMRA DRZ400S Suzuki trail machine for a break-in ride.

I basically just shadowed Dave the entire day, since he knew a great route. He was right, it was cool! I am happy to say also that Dave passed the 'Tom Trust Test' (TTT). Dave rocks and I felt completely comfortable riding staggered (at a high rate of speed) with him on the back roads!

We wound our way down to Nehalem and had lunch at a new diner.
ImageImage

As you can see, the weather was perfect! While it was overcast and misting in the valley, the Coast was killer! At the end of the day we logged 110 fun miles and came up with a stunning dualsport route for the Rat Dog! There are some incredible vistas, plus the course will be going all the way to the ocean. Also, there will be some A-course options that will keep the hardcores grinnin' and spinnin'! We'll probably even have a few AA sections!

At the end of the day, Dave pointed out the brand new trail that will replace the old trail that crossed Hwy 6 to Jones Creek. It was built in one day with Barrett Brown's new Single Track Trail Machine - sweet! This trail will be used for the upcoming Devil's Head ISDE - can't wait!

On the way home I stopped at the Lee's Camp Store and was lucky enough to see old Bert Bassett hanging around the store. Bert is a legend in the Tillamook Forest and knows all the old trails. In fact he helped layout course for past ISDEs and used to be part of the old King's Mtn. Club. Rumor has it that the Lone Wolf ISDE was his namesake, although Lobos MC would need to confirm that.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

lovalljm
WFO
WFO

Postby lovalljm » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:26 pm

:roll: You mean this (the rat dog) is not "Fat Chance"

Jim L.
Every ride is a Good One!!

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:38 am

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Bare-it
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby Bare-it » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:28 am

Not Bert's name sake. Lone Wolf.....Lobo, in spanish.....get it.

Bert's awesome. He helped me layout the first event I chaired, in 1983, and has been there for us as a volunteer over and over again. If you haven't had a chance to wake up Bert in his cabin, have him crack open a beer,while still in his underwear, and utter that famous line: "wanna go for a rip?!" You've really missed out.

By the way, he was dual sporting before it was cool.......or legal, I guess, but still.

Barrett

Danno
VIP
VIP

I spent a day following Bert...

Postby Danno » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Barrett, was Bert riding the IT490 with the shaved seat then? I spent a day riding with those guys in the early eighties! As a newbie to off-road riding, I was so impressed with how those "Old Guys" got around on the trails. That has always made me think, "I want to be able to do that when I'm in my 60's and 70's."
Danno
"I usually tighten my nuts better"

lovalljm
WFO
WFO

Postby lovalljm » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:07 am

:shock: If you don't change your ways, you won't make it to the 60's or 70's!!!!!!!!!!
Every ride is a Good One!!

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:12 am

Bare-it wrote:Not Bert's name sake. Lone Wolf.....Lobo, in spanish.....get it.

Bert's awesome. He helped me layout the first event I chaired, in 1983, and has been there for us as a volunteer over and over again. If you haven't had a chance to wake up Bert in his cabin, have him crack open a beer,while still in his underwear, and utter that famous line: "wanna go for a rip?!" You've really missed out.

By the way, he was dual sporting before it was cool.......or legal, I guess, but still.

Barrett

Thanks for the clarification Barrett. My understanding was that it was a double play: Wolf = Lobo, Lone = Bert as the main player.

And you really painted a picture that has me momentarily blinded about the beer and underwear. :shock:
-Tom

Return to “Rat Dog 2-Day Dualsport-Adventure Ride”