What Do I Need For This Ride?

Discuss the Scaredy-Cat Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Danno
VIP
VIP

What Do I Need For This Ride?

Postby Danno » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:27 pm

I had Johnny contact me on what he needed for the "CAT" ride...

[Can you tell a newb; what exactly is a Dual Sport? Besides the obvious (bike), what does one need for this event?

I've been riding for 3 years, but I'm only one week into my first
sidecar rig. I'm loving it and looking to play with it!

Thanks for any info. Johnny ]

Johnny, Thanks for your inquiry. This ride will be easier than the average D.S. ride. A re-setable ODO is a plus. If your ODO can reset back by 1/10 of a mile, thats even better. If you have a ODO that can't reset, you could mathematically calculate the distance, but it would be hard. This ride won't have a lot of turns close to each other.

A route holder would be nice, but not necessary. We will have Jart charts, but you could put them on a tank bag or map holder, and use them, that way.

I wanted to run a ride for big bikes. We had Urals, KTM Adventures, KLRs, 1150 GSs, Tigers, (Lions & Bears, oh my!) at the Black Dog & Rat Dog events. This is a easy road ride to some high elevation passes that will be gravel. The routes will be optional (suggested), with the only sure schedule being the start/ finish,& check points with opening and closing times. For example, you will leave the Start @ 9:00am. The next check is 7 miles up the hi-way, with a 10am-11am opening time. You look at your route suggestions and see you have a hard 50mi. pavement & gravel option, or a 15mi. mostly single lane pavement, some gravel, or you can ride 7 mi. up the hi-way, get there early and use your time to tackle a bigger loop you notice coming up later...These are just examples that are subject to change but this will be the style of the ride and I'll explain why later...

The check points will have a different twist on them. It won,t be a "matter of chance"at most checks. There will be some "skill" and "ingenuity" type checks. Some "observation" type checks like the one Joe and Julie did on the Black Dog several years ago. They had a Dummy (dressed in riding gear) setting off to the side. If anyone mentioned it, that person got 50 bonus points. They only gave out 100 points. You should of heard, that night, all the people that said they were going to say something but forgot...It was funny!

Hope I gave you enough info.. Sign Ups will start in the next month.
:) Danno :D

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:39 am

Johnny(can you hear me)- if you are going to ride a Ural, you will want a bicycle computer and a roll chart holder, for sure. The Ural trip meter reads in kilometers and converting the milage on the roll chart to klicks will almost certainly get you lost. Be sure to calibrate the speedo and practice with it so you know it is accurate and are familiar with resetting it to zero, BEFORE you get to the event. It will make the day a whole lot more fun!

at the bottom of my links page ( http://adventuresidecar.com/links.htm ) there are links to info about the SIGMA bike speedo I have used. It is cheap and simple and works fine for this stuff.

More stuff here:
http://adventuresidecar.com/three_legged_dog.htm

And, of course, Tawms BlackDog website has all sorts of usefull stuff-visit
http://www.blackdogdualsport.com and click around the site.

Hope you show up-these events are a stone blast, and sidecars in the woods are way fun!
Vernon Wade(The Red Menace)
Sidecar and Trike instruction
adventuresidecar.com

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:58 am

Hey Vern,
You have your own URL now? Cool! Remind me to add a link to it from my Links section on this site.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

RedMenace
WFO
WFO

Postby RedMenace » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:23 pm

Tawmass wrote:Hey Vern,
You have your own URL now? Cool! Remind me to add a link to it from my Links section on this site.
-Tom

Please do, Tawm! I am trying to get the search engines to find the damned site; I am told links on other sites will be helpful towards that end.

Vernon Wade(The Red Menace)

Sidecar and Trike instruction

adventuresidecar.com

Return to “Scaredy-Cat Dualsport Ride”