Scaredy Cat Questions

Discuss the Scaredy-Cat Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Danno
VIP
VIP

Scaredy Cat Questions

Postby Danno » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:35 pm

Gordon had some concerns that some of you may relate to…

“Dan, I am looking forward to my first DS event. I entered but was unable to ride the Black Dog last month because of mechanical problems.The bike has since received a new top end and is ready.I intend to send in my Scaredy Cat registration, but have several questions (most are dumb).”

Thanks for entering, Gordon. There are no dumb questions! Hopefully these answers help...

1. “From the web site it appears this is a relatively short ride compared to the BlackDog. May I assume this a good event for a first-timer?”

Yes this will be an easy ride with longer, more challenging options for those that want them... This will be explained at the riders meeting and more to follow on the web page.

2. “Will there be a gas stop even though the ride is advertised as only 80 miles?”

We will be going by several gas stations on the route. You may be able to cut distance, by short cutting the course, and still make the checks.

3. “The information also says this will not be a typical DS with just a roll chart, will there in fact be a roll chart and maps provided?”

I will have a map of the course with all the checks shown. There will be pre-made charts for the longer loop options. I will also have un-cut charts for the people that want to put their charts in a tank bag or map holder.

4. “Do you have a rough estimate of time to ride the course?”

Sign-up will start at 7am. Riders meeting at 7:30am. First riders shortly there after. Probably around 8am. The cut-off will be around 4-5pm, yet to be determined. A rider could feasibly make most of the checks, and be back to the finish by 2 or 3pm. If the rider is riding for OMRA points they would have them, also a trophy for a top 5 finish. A rider has to be present at the finish to be eligible for the cash drawing.

5. “The current list of entrants on the website shows only a handful of riders; do you foresee opportunities to tag along with a group?”

I'm hoping for around 30 riders... I think there will be several groups, at different abilities, that can always use another rider or two...

6. “Is there a designated lunch or refreshment stop, or do we need to bring our own on board?”

Packing a snack is always a good idea. We will have our most far away check at Detroit. There are restaurants and stores with fast-food available... Each rider is on his own for the lunch stop. I'm too cheap compared to Tawm!

7. “Anyone camping nearby, and do you know where?”

I'm camping at John Neal Memorial Park in Lyons. It's 2 miles to the Swiss Village from there. A big problem I'm having is, I started this too late in the year to reserve anything at prime season. When I inquired about reservations in April, for our August date, they were already booked. All I can get is first come, first served spots. I'm going up Wednesday to be sure I've got one. Anyone showing up Friday night or later may not find anything...There are a few other County and State Parks in the area, but this is the closest one.

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I hope to see you on the 21st.

These are great questions. Call me if you need to, Gordon. 503-554-8360 Thanks, Danno
"I usually tighten my nuts better"

Return to “Scaredy-Cat Dualsport Ride”