Scaredy Cat '09 Info

Discuss the Scaredy-Cat Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Danno
VIP
VIP

Scaredy Cat '09 Info

Postby Danno » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:31 am

Our '09 Scaredy Cat is just about a month away. We'll be staging from the Fox Creek site that we've used the last couple of years. It's 6 miles from Detroit and the map is on the Scaredy Cat page.

I'm planning on a new loop, a little farther south, this year. We'll also have some of the same routes as in the past, but mixed up a little.

All pre-entries will have a GPS packet e-mailed to them about a week before the ride. I'm thinking about doing a Garmin based GPS clinic on Saturday evening. There has been some confusion with loading tracks and we can clear a few things up. For non- Garmin users, I will have GPX files that will work.

Keep checking this message board for up-dates and come up and ride with us on September 13th!

Danno
"I usually tighten my nuts better"

lovalljm
WFO
WFO

Postby lovalljm » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:08 pm

:) Hey Danno, keep me in the loop as I will be in Salem the week before and will drive up and help you as needed. O K.....

Jim L. in Eugene
Every ride is a Good One!!

Danno
VIP
VIP

GPS Clinic

Postby Danno » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:19 am

On our Saturday evening GPS clinic, we'll be discussing terms like filtering, truncating, positioning (using different grid types), etc.

We’ll also give some dos and don’ts involving tracking and auto routing. We’ll show some software techniques, making your GPS even a better tool. Things like converting a route to a track log. Map loading dos and don’ts and more…

If anyone has specific questions, drop me a PM on this board and I’ll see what I can do to answer them.
Hope to see you there,
Danno

Danno
VIP
VIP

Scaredy Scouting

Postby Danno » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:02 am

I'm going to try and get up to the Detroit Lake area and find the new loop that I want to add this year. Weather permitting, I should have some good pictures to post. Remember that your pre-entry will get you a GPS packet a week early. Also, in that packet you will have maps with destinations (checkpoints, quiz-checks, and points of interest.) :shock:

See you at the Scaredy Cat, Danno :wink:

Danno
VIP
VIP

Jimmy Loveall is Back This Year

Postby Danno » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:51 am

I talked to Jimmy L. last night and he will be helping me again at this year's S'Cat ride. He missed last year, due to a very important class reunion (Sharon's 25th,) and he was missed a lot. Jimmy has been a huge help since the very first 'Cat ride in 2005, especially helping with some creative checkpoint games.:roll:

We have a special challenge this year for a checkpoint. Jimmy and I need to come up with something that everyone, except Gary Lande, can get a very high score on. You see, as of the Valley DS ride, Gary is ahead of second place (El-Dale-O J.) by 35 points and third place (El-Jim-O L.) by 50 points! I’m just kidding, :wink: but Gary takes this very serious and has some trophies to prove it! He is probably practicing his hula-hoop or ping pong in his garage right now… Again Gary, I’m just kidding, and Gary really stepped up and was a huge help at last year’s ‘Cat ride in Jimmy’s absence.

Stay tuned to this message board for some upcoming hints for checkpoint answers to my “Quiz Checks.” I will have posts on a few other boards and will have e-mails going out to previous years participants. I will explain more of this later…:?: :?:
Danno

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:01 am

You mean the editor of Dirt Rider Magazine, Jimmy Lewis? Cool!

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Danno
VIP
VIP

Not That Jimmy L.!

Postby Danno » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:11 am

Tom, you know after our discussion with Jimmy Lewis at the ’07 Endurocross, in the Orleans pub, he probably wouldn’t give me the time of day! :wink:

lovalljm
WFO
WFO

Postby lovalljm » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:25 pm

:D Hey Danno: We could use my washer game. Gary complained, at the "Black Dog" that he could not get a washer in the hole!!!!!! Even if we give him all 6 washers he could not hit the hole.... Think about it, I could bring the game with me!!!!!!!!

Jim L.
Every ride is a Good One!!

Danno
VIP
VIP

Washer Game!

Postby Danno » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Yeah Jimmy, that would be good! I'll bet Gary has one of those at home, now. I bet his has washers that are twice as big, and holes that are twice as small. I bet he can still hit ten out of ten! He's such a pro... :lol: Danno

Danno
VIP
VIP

Great Scaredy Scouting!

Postby Danno » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Yesterday Tom, Donna, Dawn, and I did some Scaredy Scoutin’ and found a couple of neat things. I’m planning on doing a long loop to Clear Lake, on the Mckenzie highway.

In the spirit of Adventure Touring, you will need a range of 140 -150 miles. This is a concept that I had for this ride, for the last 5 years. That’s really not much distance, by Adventure Touring standards, but a bit of a stretch compared to what the Dualsport series has offered in the past. If you get “E-Gas” in Detroit, and by-pass part of the course, the course is only around 110 miles.

In the past, we have had “clover leaf” options, with Detroit being sort of the hub. I will still offer a similar option, without having Clear Lake as a goal. Distance to gas is closer to 60 miles, in that case.

Folks can plan on purchasing a lunch in either Detroit or Clear Lake. We will have checkpoints in both places and as in the past, Quiz Checks along the course. There will be “throw away” checks, just like before, so it is possible to get the highest score and not make all the checks.

Does anybody know why I call this ride the “Scaredy Cat”? I’ll ask again later…
Does anybody notice anything about this year’s date and our “ ‘Cat” ride? I’ll ask that again later, too!
Does anybody remember any “Tagged” incidents at previous “Black Dog” events? It’s sort of been a theme at the last few “Scaredy Cats”… That might be a clue, also… :wink: :wink:

I hope you can come up and have some fun with us at this year’s Scaredy Cat. Keep tuned to this page for more info.
Danno

Danno
VIP
VIP

More S'Cat Scoutin'!

Postby Danno » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Jimmy "LOVEALL" and I went up to check on a few loop options today. We found some more cool sections. I think this year's course will be higher, farther to the East and more South than any previous Scaredy Cats. I took a few pics and I'll get Tom to help me load them up... I found a view point that you can see 8 peaks from! From Mt. Hood to south of Bachelor Butte...

Does anybody know why I spelled Jim's name "LOVEALL"? That might be a hint. :lol:
The High, East, and South statement might be a hint, too! :wink:

Danno 8)

Danno
VIP
VIP

Scouting Pictures

Postby Danno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:00 pm

Here are some of the views you can see in the Detroit area.

Image Image

And here's Donna and Dawn, mugging it for Tawm...

Notice Tom's muscles?

Here's Jimmy roosting a SX whoop...

And here, Jimmy is "working" on getting cooled off! When we got back to the trucks, it was hot! We miscalculated where the shade would be... 8)

I'll have more to show later, Danno

Danno
VIP
VIP

More Scouting Ahead

Postby Danno » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:05 am

Randy, Walt and I are getting ramped up for some more recon work this next weekend. I'm finding new spots, in an area I've always wondered about and I see some interesting roads... I've found some overgrown 2-track and want to get new sections that connect. Unfortunately, some of the coolest roads we've been on aren't going all the way thru! I am getting a few that do, though.

I want a little more remote-type road, this year. Nothing too difficult, just enough to keep it interesting. I’ll try to get some good pictures to post when we get back! Danno

RandEye
VIP
VIP

Some recon pix

Postby RandEye » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:44 pm

Danno and I made it out this weekend for some additional course confirmation and recon. Wow, what an awesome area to ride and scenery to enjoy! Thought I would post a few pix from the ride.

This is from Coopers Ridge overlooking Rainbow Lake.

I guess we won't be using this road on the event unless Danno decides to make it an "A" option!

We found this shelter somewhere near Blowout road along Detroit Lake, not sure what it was used for.

3rdgear
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

More Info Needed!

Postby 3rdgear » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:31 pm

Will there be a flyer posted soon?

I have a couple questions:

1) What time does the Sunday event start?
2) How much is it to register?
3) What experience level is required for the dual sport ride?

Thanks,
Eric

Return to “Scaredy-Cat Dualsport Ride”