Scaredy Cat '09 Info

Discuss the Scaredy-Cat Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

lovalljm
WFO
WFO

Postby lovalljm » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:32 pm

:lol: Well, as Danno puts it, newbies to experienced riders may participate in the Scardey Cat...... As for the entry fee, I am thinking 20 to 30 dollars ( you buy your own lunch ) and your right "no flyer"...... Danno is like Tom ( not quite as bad )
This probably did not help you very much, although, I know where it starts 6 miles up the road on the left, coming from Salem, as you go over the bridge into Detroit. We will be camped at that rest area ( which we will mark with a sign on the road ).
As a person that is going to run the check point for Dan, I don't know a H--- of a lot. Pardon the pun, but you will enjoy the ride tho. and if you are in to GPS's there is that part too....... Come on out and have some fun !!!!!!!!!!!

Jim L. in Eugene :oops:
Every ride is a Good One!!

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:07 pm

lovalljm wrote::lol: Danno is like Tom ( not quite as bad ) :oops:

Hey Jimbo, that hurts right to the bone! 8)
Danno's working on flyer now and it should be done quickly...
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

lovalljm
WFO
WFO

Postby lovalljm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:19 am

:roll: Just kidding Tommy !!!!!!!!!

Jim L.
Every ride is a Good One!!

Danno
VIP
VIP

Start Time

Postby Danno » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:36 pm

Eric had some good questions... Somewhere in our haste, we (I) forgot to get the Scaredy Cat flyer posted. It is on it's way, but to answer some of Eric's questions... Sign-up starts at 7am, the riders meeting is around 8am with the first riders leaving after the meeting. The cost is $20 pre-paid (in my mailbox by 9-9-09) and $25 at the event.

I've tried to set this ride up for people that are new to dualsport rides... As far as the course goes, it is all passable by a Jeep. There isn't much single track trail in the area but there is some overgrown 2-track that I use. There are a few short sections that are some what steep as far as a SUV is concerned... These aren't hill climb sections, like you would find in the Trask, but small grades that keep it interesting. For riders that can ride gravel OK and can ride in Highway traffic (we have some connecting sections on Hwy. 22) there shouldn't be any problem.

I've laid out most of the course on my Transalp, a 400+lb. bike. I'm using a longer loop this year, for more of an Adventure themed ride. A 150 mile range will be fine but if you can't go that far, we will have some emergency gas options. For this kind of riding I can get 140 miles on my KTM 450 EXC, with the desert tank (3.5 gal.) and 150 miles on my Yamaha WR 426 with the stock tank, but geared up for range. There are a lot of smooth easy gravel roads and some fun single lane paved roads and you just don't get in the main jet, so you get better range.

I hope this helps. Danno
"I usually tighten my nuts better"

Danno
VIP
VIP

Scaredy Scouting last weekend!

Postby Danno » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:12 pm

I got back yesterday from doing some last minute prep for the course. Randy and I got up to the Detroit area Thursday and found a few things. He had to leave Saturday, but Walt came up Saturday evening. Randy and I did big bike options with his new KTM 990 Adventure (a sweet machine that I better not ride anymore until I can afford an upgrade) and my Transalp. Walt and I went out Sunday on 450's and did some recon and confirmation. We found some places that may be a future "A" loop option. Mainly slides and wash-outs that big bikes can't get through.

Here are some of Walt's pics and I will post some of mine later.
This was a slide that we might go over next year.

This is a Quiz Check site that we've used and will use again. The Snowmobile's have a pretty nice warming shack here!
Image Image

This is yours truely..................................................................................................And a close-up of Walt's truely!
Image Image

I'll post more later. Come up and see the sites at Detroit! I Hope to see You there! Danno

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Flyer's posted!
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Fastmag
kickstarting the bike
kickstarting the bike

Postby Fastmag » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:54 pm

This sounds like it is going to be a great ride. I registered for it today. I was just kind of curious what is happening on Saturday. I live in Salem so I will not be camping but was curious if events were planned for Saturday to swing up to Detroit. Thanks for putting events like this on.
2006 Buell XB12X
1975 XL 175 K2
1974 CT70

Danno
VIP
VIP

Scaredy Track GPS info is out!

Postby Danno » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:30 pm

I started sending my GPS packets out last night and if you are pre-entered and didn't get yours, please PM me or e-mail me. I've just about completed all the roll charts and a few of us are going out Friday and Saturday for final confirmation. It looks pretty good so far. The weather should be ideal!

I did have a change-up though, due to some re-routing issues with the Canal Creek Fire last week, my short loop options won’t be used… What this means is; the main route, using the emergency gas options comes in at about 100 miles, gas to gas. Then there are 50 course miles on top of that. This is an easy puttsie with good gravel roads for a lot of the route, so your mileage should be good. If you are concerned about making the distance, (there are many bail-out spots that put you on Hwy. 22 if you run low) Jim Loveall will have a truck at the Lunch Check, that you could send your gas can in.

I hope to see you there! Danno

Danno
VIP
VIP

GPS contact info

Postby Danno » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:19 pm

In my earlier message I forgot to tell people to leave me your contact info. Leave your e-mail address and I will e-mail you the GPS info. If you call me at home, please leave a message. The phone number on this page is mainly used by tele-marketers and I sometimes miss it!
Danno

Danno
VIP
VIP

More Pics rom Last Week!

Postby Danno » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:08 am

Tom loaded up some more pics for me and here are a few of them...
The first night there, it was obvious there was a forest fire nearby! Later, the next evening, Randy and I found a neat lake a got a few shots before dark.
Image Image

Randy was a little sketchy about thrashing the new Katoom... Luckily, he came away with nary a scratch!
Image Image

Walt's doing the "Dirt Bike Slide" here! And here he is trying talk me into a very steep downhill, in case Simon shows up with the rest of the Mt. Scotchers!
Image Image

This ride is "Thumbs Up" and Stylin' for the camera...
Image Image

THe rest of the time, we just "Hung Loose!"

Come up and ride with us! See you there, Danno

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:40 pm

The weather Gods are forecasting around 80 degree weather for the event - woohoo! Should be perfect for a fun day riding in our public forests!
-Tom

Ride
in first gear
in first gear

Postby Ride » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:12 am

I might show up Sat night but most likely Sunday morning. See ya there.

Kelly

Danno
VIP
VIP

Ready to go!

Postby Danno » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:54 am

I'm about ready to pull out and head for Detroit Lake. I won't be on-line there but we do have cell service. For any major questions, try to see if Tawmass can give you an answer... See you there, Danno

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tawmass » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:20 am

Danno posted his PreRide Poop Sheet on the Entries Thus Far page, so go check it out.

Regarding the GPS Class on Saturday Eve, be sure and bring your Garmin GPS-to-PC connector cable, just in case. We will have the mini USB, but that's probably it.

See ya there!
-Tom

Danno
VIP
VIP

Another Scaredy Cat is Done!

Postby Danno » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:55 pm

Wow! I just got home and man, it sure was a long day/week/month etc... I just wanted to thank the crew again for all the hard work! Mike Moore is "Rock Solid", helping with checks and scoring. Dawn Wayne always comes through with sign-up and scoring. Tom and Donna have been a hoot to pre-ride with and they have really had my back with checkpoints and more. Jimmy LOVEALL! (and Sharon made an appearance) did a great job on the lunch check and was a big help pre-riding and finding part of our new loop. Walt Koch was a gas to pre-ride with, and he was a lot of help on checks and more. Frank Noe made a special delivery with trophies and gifts. Randy Beadle is back helping, after being busy on other projects, and I’m glad. He was help with pre-riding, also. Dale Johnsen helped with sweep and many other camp duties along with pre-riding. Larry Lake dropped in and he was put to work and did a great job helping Dale, sweep. Jim Dukes and Randy Beadle did sweep duties, also! Gary Lande, Bill Law, Mike Brown, and Jimmy Loveall got fire wood and kept a nice fire burning every night. Thanks people!

I want to thank this year’s riders, also! You folks did great! I don’t think we had any problems and everyone came back in, in reasonable time! A job well done, with no breakdowns or major wipe-outs… Thanks again!

We had a special guest show up at our slow test in Detroit. With some previous discussion on this page, there is a little bit of irony. I think I’ll let Tawmass explain this one and I think he might have some pictures, too.

Well that’s all for now, but we’ll have more write-ups on this year’s Scaredy Cat later… Danno

Return to “Scaredy-Cat Dualsport Ride”