Still Looking up in them Hills

Discuss the Scaredy-Cat Ride!

Moderator: Tawmass

Danno
VIP
VIP

Still Looking up in them Hills

Postby Danno » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:14 pm

I haven’t been up to the Mill City – Detroit Lake area for a few weeks. We had the Great Gifford-Pinchot / Hood River Run and now that it’s done I hope to get checking on the Scardy ride. This coming Saturday is the OMRA calendar meeting and I’m looking for a weekend in late May.

We’re still in the planning stages and have some interesting ideas for checkpoints. Since it will be a somewhat easy ride I’m thinking of having some challenging checks. Something like a scavenger hunt with some skill games included. Possibly a check where the bike and rider will be weighed and points given for weight. A quiet bike check, balance an object while riding, riding a plank check are a few of the ideas. Also a lowball hand where the lowest hand finishes somewhere in the top five.

Tom has been building a Scardy Cat page and has my home phone on it. Call for any questions or comments…. Danno

Dive
WFO
WFO

Postby Dive » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:09 am

Dan,

A few of us will be riding in the Lyons / Mill City to Quartzville area this Saturday.

Your welcome to join us if you want.

Dave
Promise not to go too fast for ya :)

Danno
VIP
VIP

Saturdays Ride?

Postby Danno » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:03 pm

Dive, Where did you go Saturday? I wished I could of hooked up with you. I went to the OMRA calendar meeting Saturday morning and we have our date for the Scardy Cat. May 22nd 2005 is in the books. Also there are a lot of openings in August. Might do a repeat since this ride won't stray from the beaten path and fire danger will be less of an issue...Danno

Dive
WFO
WFO

Postby Dive » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:08 am

Dan,

We left from Lyons, up the Trask Rd to High Rock, then cut south to Quartzville and then on to Detroit dam, from there we went into Detroit for gas etc. We tried to get over French Glen and down the Elkhorn, but we got a little turned around (also know as LOST) :) actually we weren't lost, just took a wrong turn.

There is some snow coveed ice up there already in the higher elevations, one or two more dumpings and you probably won't be getting through.

The north facing slopes are cold and once the snow builds up it will take a long time for it to melt. As the sun doesn't reached these covered areas.

Dave

Dive
WFO
WFO

Postby Dive » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:16 pm

This Saturday is looking to be drier than first forecast.

I'm up for a scoot in dem there hills.

Dave

lovalljm
WFO
WFO

scardy or "what ever" ride

Postby lovalljm » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:19 pm

Mr. Dan Hatcher:
I might be talked in to helping you on your ride.... I am not sure if you need and help, or what I can do. Please remember I am old, I ride an old bike, and I ride slow. But, you must admit I LOOK GOOD. Jim Loveall
email address is lovalljm@comcast.net Seeeee yaaaaa! :roll: :twisted:

Dive
WFO
WFO

Postby Dive » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:37 am

Geeez Jim,

We're still in 2004 and your already trying to earn worker points for 2005 :-)

Desperation sucks uh ?

:oops:

Dave

lovalljm
WFO
WFO

Postby lovalljm » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:07 pm

:roll: Dave: Yes, I want to beat you. I did on the last ride!!!! :D Jim L.

Danno
VIP
VIP

Dive vs. Jim

Postby Danno » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:44 pm

Dive, I think you should cut poor, old, Jim some slack. You know he's on an old bike too! :lol: Hey I ran into Greg Mardock at Caye Poe's wedding Saturday. He said he was getting riding lessons from a bunch of you guys. :P
Hows the snow up the Santiam? Got to get back up there, Danno

Danno
VIP
VIP

Went Exploring!

Postby Danno » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:04 pm

Dawn and I went exploring in my Ford Exploder yesterday. I'm looking for low elevation passes (2,000 ft. and lower) in case we have snow issues in Mid-May. We found some neat places with good views that should be a kick on two wheels (or three, Vern) that don't use a lot of hi-way and still close to the check areas.
The checks will be a little different than most rides. They will be on the Highway, gas stations, resturants, markets,etc. We will have set times for the checks, allowing 1-2 hours between. The rider will have several choices depending on riding abilities, time, weather, and other factors.
I'm looking for check point crews, a staging area in the Mill City, Lyons (hey, I wonder if there are any big Cats there) or Gates area. I'm up for course suggestions (20-40 mi. loops off the hiway) with single lane pavement, gravel, easy 2 track.

Return to “Scaredy-Cat Dualsport Ride”