6/19/15 S. Oregon/N. California Adventure Ride

Big bikes, big adventures, big fun!

Moderator: Tawmass

Tawmass
Site Admin
Site Admin

6/19/15 S. Oregon/N. California Adventure Ride

Postby Tawmass » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Went on a "Gentleman's" adventure ride yesterday to N. California. My bud, Tiny, invited me to go with the old guys on a trip where Mike was in search of Meiss Lake and Juanita Lake in northern California. On the day prior, I was purchasing a motorcycle part from a guy in Ashland named Pat. I was lamenting that there was nobody to ride with, so I invited him to go with us.

Come Friday morning at the restaurant, there was six of us total: Tiny, Willy, Mike, Allen, Pat and yours truly.

After coffee and breakfast, we headed south over the Siskiyous, then turned east at Hornbrook. through Shasta Valley on York (gravel) Road and then started heading up into the mountains. Of course there were numerous bio breaks. The open vistas were incredible as we somewhat aimlessly made our way to the top of the mountains. We soon made our way into the Klamath National Forest and started our descent to Meiss Lake.

Upon reaching the valley of Meiss Lake, we suddenly realized Meiss Lake was simply a wetlands and not much water (this time of year). Mike then had us resort to the next location of Juanita Lake nearby, so we made our way back up. Juanita Lake was beautiful, although there were numerous friendly people there. It offered time for another bio break and some photo opportunities.

After Juanita Lake, we made our way to Highway 97 and to Dorris, CA. A few topped off with fuel, had a small break, then headed north towards Keno, OR. We met the owner of Max's Family Cafe (nice guy and cool restaurant!), ogled over what looked to be the world's biggest pickup truck, then made our way to the top of Hamaker Mountain, where Tiny had spent 16+ years working for the FAA. What a fun rip to the top that culminated into an epic panorama!

We were running late, so we beat feet back towards home, stopping at Tub Springs along the way (where one local was concerned I had my video camera on - seemed shady to me!). We of course came down the Greensprings Highway into Ashland, which is nothing short of spectacular on a road bike.

At the end of the day, we did a leisurely 200-mile ride into the mountains and backroads. S. Oregon/N. Cali is such a beautiful piece of Earth!
-Tom

<<<<Looks best in HD mode if possible
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Adventure Riding”